Mystery surrounds the incident in which a young man was allegedly pushed out of a moving train by an unidentified gang at Cheruthuruthy, near here, on Wednesday.

The Railway Police, who are investigating the case, have been groping in the dark as no eyewitness so far came forward to give statement in the case. Manu, 28, son of Rajagopala Pillai, of Idukki, was found in an unconscious state on the railway track near Cheruthuruthy by local people on Wednesday morning. Both his hands were severed.

The Cheruthuruthy police were alerted and the victim shifted to Thrissur Government Medical College. There was a twist to the incident, considered as a mere train accident, when the youth gained consciousness by Wednesday night.

According to his statement, the youth, while travelling on the Thiruvananthapuram-Mangalore Malabar Express, was pushed out of the general compartment of the train by four Hindi-speaking persons when he tried to stop their attempt to molest a woman on the train.

Police are in a fix

The incident happened around 2 a.m. He said he could recognise them. But the absence of eyewitness in the case has been troubling the police in the investigation.

“We were informed about the incident when the train passed Kannur station. The Railway Police conducted inquiries when the train reached Kasaragod. But none of the passengers travelling in the general compartment at that time (train reaches Kasaragod at 8 a.m.) was aware of such an incident. Even the guard did not hear any noise though his room was next to the general compartment,” said K.L. Radhakrishnan, Dy.SP, Railway Police.

As details of the passengers travelling in the general compartment were not available with Railways, it is difficult to trace the co-passengers, he noted. The Shoranur station, where the train stopped for 40 minutes, was close to Cheruthuruthy where the accident occurred. But nobody alerted the Railway Police or the station master about the incident when the train reached Shoranur. The Railway Police were yet to begin formal investigation, Mr. Radhakrishnan said.

According to Dr. K. Balagopal, Superintendent of the Government Medical College, the patient's condition was now stable. “Both his palms were amputated. He also suffered minor head injuries,” he said. According to the victim’s statement, he boarded the train at Aluva to go to Kollur Mookambika temple.

More In: Kerala | National