Large quantities of medicines kept at a warehouse of the Kerala Medical Services Corporation here were destroyed in a fire in the building on Saturday.

Corporation officials estimated the loss at Rs.50 lakh. Short-circuit was suspected to be the cause of the fire.

The warehouse located near Kakkad caught fire in the morning. Fire and Rescue Services personnel fought for nearly two hours to control the blaze. Medicines and other drugs to be supplied to government hospitals in the district had been kept at the warehouse.

Warehouse officials said electrical wiring in the building had been completed recently. Whether the short-circuit was caused by faulty wiring would be examined.