Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan said on Monday that criminal cases would be filed against persons preventing government employees from entering offices on Tuesday in connection with the strike called by pro-Opposition service organisations.
Addressing a press conference here, the Minister said that arrangements had been made at the Secretariat and other government offices to provide protection to staff reporting for duty. Any attempt to stop them would be treated as obstruction of public servant from doing his duty.
Mr. Radhakrishnan said that a monitoring unit headed by the Chief Secretary would function at the State level to ensure protection of government offices and staff. Principal Secretary (Home and Vigilance), Director General of Police and Additional Director General of Police (Intelligence) would be part of the unit.
At the district level, collector as the district magistrate and the district police superintendent of police would take the necessary steps to ensure protection of employees. While the government was not denying employees the right to go on strike, it was bound to protect those reporting for duty. There should not be any impediment for officials carrying out their duties.
Protection to migrant workers
The Minister said that the government would accord protection to workers from other States if they came under any threat in Kerala. Action would be taken against those spreading panic through sms messages. The police had been directed to examine such messages and take action.
He said that cases had been registered against 12 persons belonging to Malappuram who had threatened workers from other States at their place of residence. Citizens from any part of the country were free to come to Kerala and do work here. Strong action would be taken against anyone trying to undermine national integration.
He said that police would probe all aspects of the death of Satnam Singh in custody including the incidents that happened at the Amrithanandamayi Asramom in Kollam district.