A large fire broke out in the District Collectorate building in Kasaragod on Wednesday afternoon, destroying electronic equipment and furniture. The fire was brought under control.

The fire was noticed when black smoke billowed out of the Video-conferencing Hall in the second floor of the Collectorate at Vidyanagar in Kasaragod.

The hall is located just above the chamber of District Collector, Anand Singh, who was not in the office at the time when the fire was found at around 2-30 p.m. Three units of Fire and Rescue Service reached there and doused the fire.

Costly video-conferencing equipment and furniture in the hall were consumed by fire. The loss is being estimated, officials said.

Short circuit is believed to be the cause of the fire in the Collectorate. The Superintendent of Police Ramdas Pothan rushed to the spot and ordered an inquiry.

More In: Kerala | National