Health Minister P.K. Sreemathy said here on Monday that complaints related to the specialty cadre system would be redressed within a month.

She was speaking after inaugurating a new maternity block at the Women and Children's Hospital.

The Minister said doctors could directly lodge their grievances regarding the system. Over 400 complaints had been received so far and appropriate action would be taken, she said.

She said the implementation of the specialty cadre system had been delayed in spite of the process being initiated as early as in 2007 because a few doctors had moved court. The Minister said many doctors had chosen to opt out of government service as their postings were not in keeping with their qualification. There were several instances of highly qualified doctors being posted to primary health centres when their services could actually be utilised in better ways. The specialty cadre system was being set up to address this anomaly, she said.

K.C. Venugopal, MP; A.A. Shukoor, MLA; district panchayat president R. Nazar; Municipal chairman P.P. Chitharanjan; Health Department director N.K. Jeevan; Additional District Magistrate Antony Dominique; District Medical Officer K.M. Sirabudin; and W&C Hospital Superintendent K.K. Radhamani; spoke.