The two buses involved in separate accidents at Tanur and Perinthalmanna in recent weeks did not have insurance cover, said Regional Transport Officer (RTO) M.P. Ajit Kumar. Twenty-three persons were killed in the accidents.

The RTO has initiated steps to take action against the bus owners, including revoking their permit. He said no fresh permits had been given on the routes where the accidents occurred on two successive Fridays last month.

The news about no-insurance cover for the buses came as a rude shock to the kin of the victims as they would not get financial aid through insurance cover.

Mr. Ajit Kumar said both the buses had all other necessary papers except insurance cover. The bus owners had been given a deadline to

produce the insurance papers before the transport authorities a week before the accident.

The RTO said the transport authorities would initiate stern measures to ensure road safety in view of the rising number of accidents in the ditrict.

Suspension of licence

Mr. Ajit Kumar said licence of bus drivers who flouted rules would be suspended for six months from October 1. They will be given show-cause notices, and action will be taken on the basis of their reply.

The RTO said the transport authorities had intensified vehicle checking. Hundreds of two-wheeler riders and bus drivers had been booked for various offences in recent days, including speeding, rash driving and failure to wear helmets. The RTO said action would be extended to autorickshaws in the next stage. He said autorickshaw drivers in the district were reluctant to use fare meters. Action would be taken against such drivers.

RELATED NEWS

13 killed as bus rams treeSeptember 6, 2013

It’s a second ‘black’ Friday in MalappuramSeptember 7, 2013

More In: Kerala | National