Kerala is mobilising its entire police force to prevent any law and order problems arising from pronouncement of the court verdict in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute on Friday.
Preventive arrests are also likely.
Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan told the media that the forces would be mobilised from Thursday to Saturday, as the Allahabad bench of the Uttar Pradesh High Court was slated to pronounce the verdict on Friday. Any attempt to cause law and order problems or communal clashes following the verdict would be sternly dealt with.
The Minister said that the district magistrates had been asked to declare ban orders wherever necessary. The district superintendents of police and city police commissioners had been told to impose restrictions on demonstrations and other activities under the Kerala Police Act wherever necessary. They had also been instructed to make preventive arrests if found necessary on assessment of the situation.
Mr. Balakrishnan said that rapid action force, bomb squads and anti-sabotage teams would be deployed in different parts of the State to ensure security. The Central government had been requested to make six companies of rapid action force available for this purpose.
Security would be strengthened at the railway stations and bus stands.
Checking of vehicles and night patrolling would be intensified. Action would be taken against anyone spreading rumours or putting up provocative bills or posters.
He urged the general public to cooperate with the measures and inform the police of any attempts by any quarters to foment trouble. Action would be taken without any partiality. People could call higher police officials or the control room (Phone No: 100) or send SMS to police message centre (No. 9497900000).
He also called upon the political parties and religious organizations to make calls for maintenance of peace. They should urge their followers not to cause any provocation. The media should also rise to the occasion.