Chlorine leak from the public sector Kerala Minerals and Metals Limited led to the hospitalisation of more than eighty students from the Chavara Government Higher Secondary School near here on Friday. Immediately, authorities declared holiday for the school.

Soon after the resumption of classes, students started swooning after inhaling the gas. Students experienced vomitting and profuse flow of tear was seen in most of the students.

About 35 students have been admitted to the nearby Chavara Government Primary Health Centre and over 50 were being treated at the Karunagapally taluk Hospital. Police and Fire and Rescue Service Personnel have rushed to the scene to take control over the situation.

Keywords: Gas leak