Karnataka Revenue Minister G. Karunakara Reddy on Friday slammed Lokayukta Santosh Hegde for indicting him in his report on illegal mining, claiming that allegations against him was untrue and sought a public apology from him.
Mr. Reddy said he had “retired” as Director from Obalapuram Mining Company (OMC), which had been named in the Lokayukta report, in 2004 itself and there are records to prove it in the Registrar of Companies.
He said “false allegations” have been made against him in the eighth chapter of the report and “making them without verifying the facts” has hurt him. “I don’t have any relation with the company,” he said, adding, “wrong message” has gone to the State vis-a-vis the report naming him.
Mr. Reddy said if any politician or common man had made allegations, it would have been understandable on the premise that they had no information. He said a responsible institution such as Lokayukta should have carefully examined the documents before filing the report.
He also said he should have at least been given an opportunity (to explain) if there were documents against him, adding, without doing that, the Lokayukta had “misled” the State and the nation which has hurt him. “I don’t know with what ill-intention this report had been filed”.
“I don’t want him to apologise to me. But he should tender public apology to the people of the State and the nation,” Mr. Reddy said.
Reacting to Mr. Reddy’s comments, Mr. Hegde said if he receives letter from the Minister, he would give him reply with evidence. “He (Reddy) was a full-time Director. We know when he resigned also. There was this illegality...so....he is not out of illegalities.” “Let him (Reddy) send a notice, I will answer”, the Lokayukta said.