The 113-year-old government high school, near B.H. Road, here was inaugurated by the then Maharaja of Mysore Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV in 1900.
The school has produced many a famous scientist, poet, politician and teacher.
A junior college was started in 1968. More than 85 per cent of the students are from poor families and come from rural areas.
Seer of the Siddaganga Math Shivakumara Swami, playwright, writer and poet T.P. Kailasam, scientists Raja Ramanna and Rank Nazeer, MP G.S. Basavaraju, the former MLA Shafi Ahmed and the former vice-chancellor of Tumkur University Anantharamaiah are among those who studied in the high school.
Till 1955, this was the only high school for students in three districts — Tumkur, Chitradurga and Kolar.
Kannada poet and freedom fighter Huilgol Narayana Rao, who is known for his “Udaya vaagali namma cheluva Kannada nadu”, was the headmaster of the high school during 1956-57.
Mahatma Gandhi visited the high school and stayed in the school in 1927. Gandhiji delivered a public speech on the high school ground on July 16 that year.
The room where Gandhiji stayed is called Gandhi Bhavan.
It is being renovated. Gandhiji, during his speech, thanked the reception committee and spoke about the headmaster of the high school.
This speech was reported in The Hindu on July 18, 1927.
Rajanna, who is the principal now, was also a student of the high school.