The student who suffered serious burns after he was set on fire in Kolar on Tuesday, is battling for life at the St. John’s Medical College Hospital here.
Doctors said on Thursday that Kameshwar Prasad had suffered third degree burns (over 65 per cent).
He is suffering from acute kidney failure and his condition continues to be critical, they said.
“The injury is deep. He has undergone two rounds of dialysis,” said George D’Souza, Chief Medical Officer of the hospital.
Meanwhile, Savio Pereira, Associate Medical Superintendent of the hospital, said, “We are giving him fluids to avoid shocks and infections. He is on ventilator support. Once he is out of his critical condition, we can consider plastic surgery.”
Dr. Pereira said that a multidisciplinary team, including ICU specialists, plastic surgeons and nephrologists, are attending on him at the Medical Intensive Care Unit.
Kameshwar Prasad, a final year student from Hyderabad studying at Devaraj Urs Medical College, Tamaka, on the outskirts of Kolar, was attacked when he was returning home on Tuesday.
After the incident, he was rushed to Jalappa Hospital and later shifted here.