Opposition stages walkout in protest against objectionable remark
Taking strong exception to reported statements by two Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti (MES) MLAs that they would have held the funeral procession of the Karnataka government had there been two more MLAs, members of the Opposition in the Legislative Council on Wednesday demanded stern action against them.
The Opposition warned the government that it would not allow the House to conduct business if the government fails to take action against the legislators — Sambhaji Patil and Arvind Patil.
The government has promised to initiate criminal and civil cases against the MLAs.
Janata Dal (Secular) floor leader M.C. Nanaiah said if the legislators had been members of the Council, he would have demanded their suspension. Meanwhile Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said he would examine the possibility of initiating legal action against the legislator.
In the Assembly, the issue was raised by BJP member S. Suresh Kumar as soon as the House met in the morning. He demanded stern action by the government to ensure such things do not recur.
In reply, Mr. Siddaramaiah said: “We will not tolerate anybody talking lightly about Karnataka State, Kannada language, its people and the government.”
It is not proper for anybody, especially an MLA, to make such derogatory remarks, he said.