With increased number of seats in medical, diploma and dental courses, due to accrual from the five deemed medical universities, Minister for Medical Education S.A. Ramdas on Friday announced the seat matrix for all the three streams for 2012-13. Mr. Ramdas told presspersons here that counselling for various subjects in medical and dental faculties will commence on May 12. The first round for dental course would be held on May 12 and medical would be held between May 14 and May 17. The second round of counselling for dental would be on May 24 and medical May 25 and May 26.

The number of seats available in government quota is medical-degree 1,486, up by 148; medical-diploma 525, up by 60; and dental 826, up by 200. Of the eight deemed medical universities in the State, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, and Nitte University have agreed to give 25 per cent of the seats and Yenapoya University 20 per cent of the enhanced seats.

However, the Minister said that Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur, BLDEA B.M. Patil Medical College, Bijapur, and KLE University, Belgaum, have not sent their seat matrix to the Government, despite the directions issued to them. He said that notices would be issued to them asking why action should not be taken for their failure to comply with the directions.

Asked why Siddhartha Medical College, whose management stood by social justice, had also backed out on giving seats for students who come out successfully in counselling, the Minister quoted the management as saying that it had not given seats since the college became a deemed university. All of them had furnished undertakings to the State Government that they would give 25 per cent of the seats enhanced after 2011-12 to the students selected in counselling. Mr. Ramdas said that St. John's Medical College had refused to part with seats to the Government.

Though the Government had said that these institutions had a social obligation, the Karnataka High Court had rejected the Government contention. He said that an appeal questioning the court order would be filed in the Supreme Court to help poor meritorious students.

He said that the Karnataka Religious and Linguistic Minorities Private Colleges Association (KRLMPCA) had agreed to give 20 per cent of the seats to the Government. Of the remaining 80 per cent of the seats, 60 per cent should be given through KRLP Entrance Test and 20 per cent through NRI/institutional preference, but the association had not sent the details of seats under this arrangement.

Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore, had agreed to give 10 seats, while A.J. Shetty Medical College had not sent details of the seats it had been approved by the MCI. Rajarajeswari Medical College had also given seats. However, it was yet to get the correct number of clinical seats. COMED-K and KRLMPCA institutions were giving 33 per cent and 20 per cent of their total seats, respectively, to the PGET pool, he said.

Keywords: COMED-K