SEARCH

National » Karnataka

Updated: May 12, 2014 12:13 IST

‘Government handled drought well’

Special Correspondent
Comment   ·   print   ·   T  T  
B.K. Chandrashekar
The Hindu B.K. Chandrashekar

Senior Congress leader and former Minister B.K. Chandrashekar on Saturday said there was no substance in the BJP’s allegations with regard to handling of drought by the Congress government in the State. The government had implemented relief measures on a war footing to ensure drinking water in all affected villages.

In a press release here, Prof. Chandrashekar said Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had chaired a meeting of deputy commissioners, chief executive officers of all zilla panchayats and heads of the departments and instructed district-level officials to give priority to implementing relief measures in the 127 drought-hit taluks.

A couple of days ago, a delegation of BJP leaders called on Governor H.R. Bhardwaj and accused the State government of “gross negligence” with regard to mitigating the drought. The BJP should not use drought to gain political mileage and publicity, he said.

‘Funds released’

The State government had released funds from the State Disaster Response Fund. On account of early withdrawal of the monsoon last year, the government declared 64 taluks as drought hit on October 15, 2013, and commenced relief works, Prof. Chandrashekar said.

He said there was no dearth of funds for implementing relief works and Rs. 435 crore had already been spent for ensuring drinking water to people and fodder to cattle.

More In: Karnataka | National
COMMENTS
Please Wait while comments are loading...
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Bangalore

Mangalore


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in Karnataka

Meagre pay, a major reason for shortage of volunteers

In Hassan district too, the Education Department is finding it difficult to provide homeschooling for children with special needs owing... »