Tragedy in Kundapur as goods and furniture worth Rs. 25 lakh gutted

Goods and furniture estimated to be worth Rs. 25 lakh were burnt when fire broke out at a footwear godown in Kundapur town on Monday.

According to Kundapur police, the godown was located on the second floor of Vaishali Complex at Shastri Circle in Kundapur while the shop was on the ground floor.

Mohammed Ghous, the owner, noticed smoke coming out of the godown in the morning and informed the Fire and Emergency Services.

Four fire tenders, which rushed to spot, brought the fire under control. But footwear stocks, estimated to be worth Rs. 15 lakh and furniture worth Rs. 10 lakh were gutted. The cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained. A case had been registered at the Kundapur police station and investigations were on, the police said.

According to an official of Kundapur Fire and Emergency Services, four fire tenders, which included two from Kundapur, one each from Udupi and Bhatkal, had rushed to the spot on receiving the information in the morning.

While they brought the fire under control and stopped it from spreading to the nearby shops, it took them three hours to stop the smoke.