A 21-year-old engineering student, who allegedly consumed acid in his hostel on Wednesday night, died in a private hospital on Friday.

The deceased, Kiran Raj, was a fourth semester student of mechanical engineering in a prominent college on Mysore Road.

Kiran consumed acid after appearing for his exams. He had spoken to his parents a few minutes before taking the step. The incident came to light when he called one of his hostel mates and informed that he had consumed acid. The friend, along with others, immediately went to the hostel and rushed Kiran to the hospital.

Hospital authorities informed the police. Kumbalagodu police shifted the body for a post-mortem.

Preliminary inquiries by the police indicated that inability to do well in exams could have led Kiran to take the extreme step. However, his father Gurunath, a resident of Humnabad in Bidar district, alleged that harassment in the college had led to his suicide.

Based on the complaint, police are questioning Kiran’s classmates and hostel mates.

When contacted, college authorities said they would be able to comment only next week.