‘All of them are out of danger; they will be discharged today’

As many as 114 boys of a government Kannada primary school in Gadag district were taken ill after they ate midday meals on Friday. A lizard is said to have been found in the sambar served to them.

According to sources, one of the boys noticed a lizard in the sambar served to them and alerted the others.

Subsequently, several boys started complaining of uneasiness and a few started vomiting, while a few others complained of stomach ache.

School authorities, with the help of 108 ambulance service and through other modes, rushed the boys to the district hospital in Gadag, where preliminary medication was administered to them.

District Health and Family Welfare Officer D.B. Channashetty and District Surgeon R.M. Patil also rushed to the spot and monitored the medical treatment being given to the boys.

They told presspersons that all the boys were out of danger and their health condition was stable.

Dr. Patil said that 20 students were given IV fluids. He said that the students would be kept under observation and would be discharged on Saturday.

Dr. Channashetty told The Hindu that as the lizard in the sambar was found to be the reason for the food poisoning, they would not be sending the food samples for further tests.

More In: Karnataka | National