A CBI special court on Saturday dismissed an application moved by the 2G spectrum scam accused, Rajya Sabha member Kanimozhi and Kalaignar TV managing director Sharad Kumar, seeking exemption from personal appearance in court on May 9 and 10, citing “preparations” needed for the Enforcement Directorate summons issued to them.

Mr. Kumar and Ms. Kanimozhi told Special Judge O.P. Saini that they had been summoned by the ED, which is probing money laundering aspects of the 2G scam, to appear before it on May 12 and 13 respectively. They had to sit with their auditors in Chennai on May 9 and 10 to make preparations and identify the documents the ED had directed them to submit, said counsel Shanmugasundaram. However, the CBI's senior public prosecutor, A.K. Singh, raised objections, stating their bail applications were pending before the court and, if necessary, only one of the two applicants could be given exemption, an offer declined by their counsel.

The information the ED has sought from Ms. Kanimozhi and Mr. Kumar includes details of bank accounts in their and their family members' names; names of companies in which they or their family members have a financial interest or possess shares or are directors, partners or proprietors; and details of movable and immovable property held or acquired or disposed of by them or their family members since January 1, 2007.

Other information, sought for the period after January 1, 2007, pertains to details of remittances sent outside the country, remittances received from abroad, details of foreign visits, and copies of Income Tax returns filed by them and their family members.