SEARCH

News » National

Updated: November 26, 2009 15:39 IST

Kalyan says there was no lapse in security arrangements in 1992

PTI
print   ·   T  T  
Former chief minister of Uttar Pradesh Kalyan Singh
Rajeev Bhatt, The Hindu
Former chief minister of Uttar Pradesh Kalyan Singh

With the Liberhan Commission reportedly indicting Kalyan Singh for failing to prevent the demolition of the Babri Masjid, the former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister on Tuesday claimed that there was “no lapse” in security arrangements on that day 17 years ago.

“Security arrangements had been in place (on December 6, 1992). But the structure could not be saved from being demolished. Many times security remains in place but certain things happen,” he told reporters here.

Mr. Singh cited the example of the assassination of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi and Indira Gandhi and said they too had security cover.

“There was tight security for John. F. Kennedy. But he was shot. Same was the case with Rajiv Gandhi and Indira Gandhi,” he said.

The Liberhan Commission report is believed to have said that as chief political executive of the administration, Mr. Singh did not requisition Central forces which were at his disposal for stopping ‘kar sevaks’ from bringing down the structure.

Mr. Singh, however, said he had asked the security personnel not to open fire at the kar sevaks.

“I had just said kar sevaks were present in lakhs and full force should be used to stop them. But there should be no firing of bullets,” he said.

More In: National | News

Avian Influenza Outbreak

More Avian Influenza Outbreak »

International

Tamil Nadu

Andhra Pradesh

Karnataka

Kerala


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in National

Swine flu death toll 204 till November

As many as 831 confirmed cases of swine flu were reported in the country between January 2014 and November 30, out of which 204 people d... »