Foreign Office denies reports of alleged Chinese troop intrusion

Chief of the Army Staff General V.K. Singh on Monday said the local administration in Jammu and Kashmir had disregarded the Centre's advice, leading to Chinese security forces allegedly threatening Indian construction workers last year.

The Foreign Office, however, denied reports of alleged Chinese troop intrusion in the Demchok area of Leh district.

‘Reports baseless'

“The government has seen media reports alleging intrusion. These reports are baseless and do not conform to facts. They are, therefore, not a cause for concern. It will be recollected that there are differences in perception, between India and China, on the Line of Actual Control [LAC] in this area,” a Foreign Office statement said.

General Singh said the local people had disregarded advice given by the Army and the Ministry of External Affairs not to engage in construction in the area till the border dispute was settled.

“In this particular case, the so-called ‘T Point' that is being mentioned is an area which the Chinese have, over a period of time, felt that the LAC passes through. The Army and the Ministry of External Affairs' advice to all the people concerned has been that instead of putting this problem in our heads, let us wait till it is resolved,” he said.

Chinese security personnel reportedly entered Gombir in the Demchok region in September-October last year and threatened workers who were building a shed.

More In: National | News