Disappointed at Lahore High Court’s decision to scrap terror cases against Jamaat-ud Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed, India on Monday said it would take up the issue with Pakistan as it was given to understand that formal investigation would be conducted against him.

Maintaining that Pakistan should investigate Saeed in the Mumbai attack case, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna said India had provided evidence about his being the “brain behind” the strike but he was not booked in that case.

“Our talks with Pakistan Foreign Minister was somewhat on this line that formal investigation would be done on Hafiz Saeed with reference to Mumbai,” Mr. Krishna told reporters while referring to his meeting with Shah Mahmood Qureshi in New York on the sidelines of UN General Assembly last month.

“We will take up the matter with Pakistan government...

We will certainly take up with Pakistan,” Mr. Krishna said hours after the Lahore High Court ordered quashing of two terror cases against Saeed who had been booked for inciting people in the name of jihad and inviting funds for the same.

Mr. Krishna noted that Saeed was under clout for the inflammatory speeches he made in Jalalabad. “But, Hafiz Saeed, as far as my knowledge goes, was not probed by the Pakistan government for his role in attack on Mumbai though we still insist that the Pakistan Government must investigate Hafiz Saeed for the role he played.”

More In: National | News