The Centre on Friday convened a meeting to review the situation and assured all help to the Maharashtra Government in the wake of strong protests by the Shiv Sena in Mumbai over release of Shah Rukh Khan-starrer My Name is Khan.

Highly-placed sources said the Home Ministry officials are in touch with Maharashtra Government and constantly keeping a check on the situation and would send central paramilitary force personnel in case of need.

“The Maharashtra Government has so far not sought any paramilitary force from us. But if they ask, we are ready to provide,” the sources said.

The meeting was chaired by Union Home Secretary G.K. Pillai and was attended by senior officials including Special Secretary (Internal Security) U.K. Bansal among others.

Defying the Sena threat, several theatres in Mumbai screened the movie. Amid the cloud of uncertainty, some multiplexes and single-screen cinemas cancelled the morning shows but went ahead with post-noon shows following an overwhelming public response.

Notwithstanding the Maharashtra Government’s reassurance about adequate security at all cinemas, theatre-owners had voiced their concerns over possible attacks by Sena activists threatening to disrupt screenings unless Khan apologised for supporting inclusion of Pakistani cricketers in the IPL.

More In: National | News