With talks on reservation issue remaining inconclusive, Gujjar leader Kirori Singh Bainsla on Sunday alleged that the government had no intention to meet the demand and threatened to take out a march to the capital to press for quota in government jobs for the community.
He said the third round of talks held last night with Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot was not fruitful as the government did not want to resolve the issue.
“I tried my best to solve the issue last night and suggested the CM the ways to accord reservation… But actually the government is not ready for that, so we are left with no option but to do it (march),” Mr. Bainsla told PTI over phone from Gazipur, Dausa.
“We are open for talks, but the government has no intention to meet our demand, so what can we do?”
There were three rounds of talks between Gujjar leaders and the government in the last two days over the reservation issue.
The Rajasthan High Court had in October last year stayed a reservation Bill, which proposed quota in jobs and educational institution in the State for Gujjars and economically backward classes.
After the Saturday’s meeting, Mr. Bainsla had announced that the agitation would continue.
Gujjars are on a sit-in at Gazipur since Tuesday demanding reservation in government jobs. The community had planned a march to Jaipur on March 26, but it was cancelled after invitation from the government for talks.
A Gujjar delegation had held talks with Energy Minister Jitendra Singh and State Transport Minister Brijkishore Sharma on March 26 which ended on positive note.
On Saturday, Gujjar leaders led by Mr. Bainsla had met Home Minister Shanti Dhariwal, Singh and Brijkishore. Later Mr. Bainsla had a meeting with Mr. Gehlot too.