A fire broke out at a cinema hall here on Thursday, causing panic on its premises, police said.

The blaze occurred at Novelty cinema hall in Aliganj area after the end of matinee show, police sources said.

However, no one was injured as the fire erupted after the show and there was hardly anyone inside the hall, they said.

“Prima facie, the fire broke out due to short-circuit near the balcony. It has been controlled but the exact amount of loss has not been assessed,” Chief Fire Officer Rajendra Tiwari said.

The false ceiling of the cinema hall started peeling off and damaged the carpet after the fire broke out, but it was controlled soon, he said.

SHO Aliganj K.S. Sagar claimed that no injuries were reported as the incident took place after the matinee show and there was hardly anyone present inside the hall.

He refuted reports about people being trapped inside the hall.

More In: National | News