The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has ordered the freezing of bank accounts and attachment of immoveable properties of five companies in connection with the alleged bribe of about Rs. 200 crore illegally paid to Kalaignar TV in the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
The bank accounts and immovable property, especially the land of Dynamix realty, Conwood Constructions, Eversmile Constructions, Nihar Constructions and DB realty, have been ordered to be attached, official sources said.
The ED had initiated the proceedings for attachment of properties about a fortnight ago and formal orders were issued on Tuesday, sources said.
Sources said the properties will be attached under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) and will be termed as "proceeds of crime" under the Act.
The CBI charge sheet in the 2G spectrum scam alleged that Rs. 200 crore had been channelised from Shahid Usman Balwa's DB Realty to DMK-run Kalaignar TV through a "circuitous route" via Cineyug Films and Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd for grant of licence to Shahid Balwa's Swan Telecom. The money was allegedly ploughed back to buy real estate.
The action of ED in ordering attachment of properties is in consonance with the ED's status report on its probe in the 2G spectrum scam, which it presented before the Supreme Court last month. ED counsel had told the Supreme Court that it would attach the properties in a month's time.
Counsel had also told the court that Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) violations were noticed in its preliminary inquiry against DB group, Virgin mobile, Milky Way Developers and ETA Star group.
ED sources said the Directorate has identified properties of Kalaignar TV worth Rs. 215 crore, located in different parts of Tamil Nadu, including Chennai.
While former Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi's wife Dayalu Ammal and his daughter Kanimozhi, a Rajya Sabha member who is now lodged at Tihar Central jail here, hold 80 per cent stake in Kalaignar TV, Sharad Kumar, the channel's managing director, holds the remaining 20 per cent. He is also lodged at Tihar jail.
According to sources, the PMLA proceedings have focussed on recovering the money allegedly paid to former Telecom Minister A. Raja and his associates as illegal gratification as a quid pro quo for granting favours in allotment of the spectrum.