The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has begun proceedings for attaching the properties of Kalaignar TV under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
The action is in consonance with the ED's status report on its probe in the 2G spectrum scam, which it presented before the Supreme Court earlier this month. ED counsel had told the Supreme Court that it would attach the properties in a month's time.
Counsel had also told the court that Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) violations were also noticed, in its preliminary inquiry, against DB group, Virgin mobile, Milky Way Developers and ETA Star group.
ED sources said that the Directorate has identified properties of Kalaignar TV worth Rs.215 crore, located in different parts of Tamil Nadu, including Chennai.
While former Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi's wife Dayalu Ammal and his daughter Kanimozhi, a Rajya Sabha member who is now lodged in Tihar Central jail here, hold 80 per cent stake in Kalaignar TV, Sharad Kumar, the channel's managing director, holds the remaining 20 per cent. He is also lodged in Tihar jail.
The channel allegedly received Rs.200 crore from Shahid Balwa's DG Realty. This was ploughed back to buy real estate.
According to sources, the PMLA proceedings would focus on recovering the money allegedly paid to former Telecom Minister A. Raja and his associates as illegal gratification as a quid pro quo for granting favours in allotment of spectrum.