Media reports show the loss figure had been “inflated exponentially”, says T R Baalu

The DMK on Monday asked the government to order a probe by a Supreme Court judge, into the fresh controversy in the 2G spectrum allocation issue in view of allegations and counter-allegations levelled on the exact loss to the government.

Talking to The Hindu here, DMK parliamentary party leader T.R. Baalu said the party had given notices under Rule 193 in the Lok Sabha (for short duration discussion without voting) and in the Rajya Sabha seeking discussion on the subject as the former Director-General (Audit) for Posts and Telecommunications in the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) office, R.P. Singh, had alleged that a Public Accounts Committee (PAC) member had influenced him to prepare the final report of the CAG by mentioning the presumptive loss as Rs.1.75 lakh crore though the actual loss could not be more than Rs. 2,600 crore as mentioned by him in the draft report.

PAC Chairman and BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi has denied Mr. Singh’s allegations and has reportedly said: “Mr. R.P. Singh’s allegations on 2G report are an attempt to malign the CAG and PAC by vested interests, including the Government. The Government is trying to shift the attention from the corruption within itself.”

In view of this confusion, the DMK wanted a fair probe. “We would have raised the demand in Parliament itself if only the party members had been allowed to speak. But unfortunately the functioning of both Houses are being stalled,” Mr. Baalu said.

More In: National | News | Tamil Nadu