Two suspected members of the terror outfit Indian Mujahideen who were arrested by the Delhi Police Special Cell last year had spoken of conducting a “recce” of the Dilsukhnagar area of Hyderabad in July 2012. The information was shared with the Hyderabad police, though whether and how this information was acted upon in the city was not immediately known.

According to Delhi Police sources, the two suspected members of the ‘Indian Mujahideen’ who were arrested from Hyderabad in October 2012 told interrogators that they had conducted reconnaissance of different parts of Hyderabad in July. “They disclosed that they had carried out a survey at Dilsukhnagar and Begum Bazar in Hyderabad on a motorcycle to identify places that could be targeted.”

The Special Cell said it cracked their module following purported revelations by Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal, an alleged handler of the 26/11 Mumbai attack.

With police erring once before about Islamists being behind the Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad, police officers in the city have been guarded about speculating on the record about who might be responsible for Thursday's bombings.

Note: This story has been edited to correct the erroneously conveyed impression that the details of the July 2012 recce of Dilsukhnagar by two alleged members of Indian Mujahideen were only disclosed by the Delhi police after the Hyderabad blast took place. In fact, the details were made public earlier and form part of court filings made in the case against the two.