A Delhi court today directed the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Crime Branch, to appear before it in connection with a plea seeking registration of an FIR against Delhi Transport Minister and others alleging that the December 16 gang-rape incident had occurred due to their “corrupt” activities.

“DCP Crime Branch is directed to take required action and appear in the court on February 27,” Special Judge Sangita Dhingra Sehgal said.

The court passed the order displeased with three different reports furnished before it regarding the status of the complaint made by RTI activist Vivek Garg.

Mr. Garg had sought directions to the Crime Branch of the Delhi Police to register an FIR against the Transport Minister, the Transport Commissioner and others for allegedly committing offences of corruption, cheating, criminal breach of trust and criminal conspiracy.

He accused them of unlawfully allowing the bus, in which the 23-year-old paramedical student was gang raped and tortured, to run without permit and of issuing a false fitness certificate and a driving licence on fake documents.

While the crime branch official informed the court that the complaint was pending with the DCP (South District), SHO of Burari Police Station said the complaint received by it from South District had been forwarded to the crime branch.

Meanwhile, the crime branch submitted before the court that it was not inquiring into Mr. Garg’s complaint.

Thereafter, SHO PS Burari clarified that the complaint was not forwarded by it to the crime branch and would be sent today.

At this, Mr. Garg’s counsel Ajay Goel told the court “it is evident that the police has no intention to take action and is only harassing him and delaying the proceedings.”

“Since confusing reports have come forth, the aforesaid police officials are given an opportunity to clarify their position before the court proceeds further,” the court said.

Mr. Garg has, in his plea, said the bus in which the girl was gang-raped was allowed to ply in the city despite it being unfit for the same and having been impounded on many occasions last year, it was allowed to ferry passengers only because of “corruption” in the transport department.

The gang-rape victim died at a Singapore hospital, losing a 13-day gruelling battle. The incident had sparked protests across the country.

More In: National | News | Delhi