A Delhi court on Tuesday remanded former Commonwealth Games officials T. S. Darbari and Sanjay Mahendroo in six days police custody for unearthing money trail in a forgery and cheating case relating to Queen’s Baton Relay in London last year.

“Both the accused were arrested only yesterday. Their further custodial interrogation is required to unearth the conspiracy and the names of other possible co-accused. They are remanded to police custody till November 22,” Special CBI Judge A .S. Yadav said.

Both Mr. Darbari and Mr. Mahendroo are considered to be close associates of Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi.

Earlier, a CBI lawyer moved an application seeking seven day custody of the former officials of OC on the ground that they have not been co-operating with the probe agency.

“Both the accused entered into a criminal conspiracy with others to defraud the government of India of a huge amount of money. Their thorough interrogation was required to find out the names of other co—conspirators,” M. R. Kadole, Additional Superintendent of Police of CBI said.

Meanwhile, the counsel for the accused strongly opposed the plea, saying Mr. Darbari, former OC Joint Director General, and Mr. Mahendroo, former OC Deputy Director General, have been co-operating with the CBI and their premises have already been searched and nothing remains to be recovered from them.

Mr. Darbari told the court, “I did not take any decision. All the decisions regarding the tendering process were taken by the 13-member OC.”

RELATED NEWS

CBI arrests two sacked CWG officials November 15, 2010

More In: National | News