More than a month after the massacre of 75 jawans of the Central Reserve Police Force by Maoists in Chhattisgarh, the Centre on Friday shunted out CRPF DIG in Dantewada Nalin Prabhat, Commandant of the 62nd battalion V.K. Bisht and inspector Sanjeev Bagree.
Acting on the report of the E.N. Rammohan Committee, set up in the wake of the April 6 killings, the government ordered the shake-up in the CRPF set-up in Dantewada district. While R.S. Sahota will be the new DIG in Dantewada, Ashok Swami will be the Commandant of the 62nd battalion.
Sources in the Home Ministry said a court of inquiry would be instituted for fixing individual responsibility on the CRPF officials. The one-man inquiry committee, headed by the former BSF chief Mr. Rammohan, in its report submitted to the Ministry last month, held the Superintendent of Police and the CRPF DIG in Dantewada accountable for sending the jawans on an “area domination” operation without going into security concerns.
“Action recommended by the Rammohan Committee will be taken in next 48 hours,” Home Secretary G.K. Pillai said on Thursday.