The founder-chief of the militant outfit, National Democratic Front of Boroland, Ransaigra Nabla Daimary (alias D.R. Nabla or Ranjan Daimary), was held in Bangladesh and handed over to the Border Security Force late on Friday night.

BSF authorities, in turn, handed him over to the Assam police and he was brought to the city on Saturday. He is likely to be produced in a court here on Sunday.

When contacted, Subhash Ch. Das, Principal Secretary, Home, did not divulge where and under what circumstances Daimary was arrested and details of the Bangladesh Rifles handing him over to the BSF in the Dawki sector of the border.

The 51-year-old insurgent leader was wanted in a number of cases, including the October 30, 2008 serial blasts in Assam in which 88 people were killed, at least 540 injured and public property worth Rs.2.99 crore was damaged. Interpol also issued a Red Corner notice against him.

The Central Bureau of Investigation, in its charge sheet filed on May 25, 2009 in connection with the serial blasts, named 19 persons, including Daimary, accused. Its investigation revealed that the nine serial bomb blasts in Guwahati, Barpeta Road, Bongaigaon and Kokrajhar were triggered by the NDFB.

Daimary had been president of the NDFB since its inception on October 3, 1986. The outfit was originally known as the Boro Security Force and re-christened the NDFB in 1993. However, the NDFB general assembly on December 15, 2008 replaced him by B. Sungthagra (alias Dhiren Boro). But, 12 days after his removal, Daimary claimed that he was still president.

On January 1, 2009, the NDFB expelled Daimary for his alleged involvement in the October 30, 2008 blasts. This split the outfit into two, with one faction led by Sungthagra known as the NDFB (ceasefire) and the other as the NDFB (Ranjan Daimary).

Daimary earlier initiated the NDFB's peace process, declaring a unilateral ceasefire with the government of India on October 8, 2004, for six months and it was extended for another three months. He signed a bilateral agreement on Suspension of Operation with the Centre on May 25, 2005. However, he later went underground and operated out of his bases in Bangladesh along with armed cadres of the third battalion of the outfit.