Despite government’s claims that they have been removed

Despite claims by the government that the inflammatory video targeting Islam and Prophet Mohammed had been removed from the Internet, clips of the controversial video are still available on the video-sharing website YouTube. Ironically, the Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson on Sunday said: “Google India [which owns YouTube] has, in compliance with Indian law, blocked access to the offensive material.”

Following widespread protests in the Arab world against the uploading of several clips of the controversial video on the Internet, the Ministry of Home Affairs on Wednesday asked the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DEIT) to immediately block all the webpages containing the objectionable content. However, the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), the agency under the DEIT which deals with such situations, is yet to ensure the ban.

But the Home Ministry spokesperson claimed that Google India has blocked access to the offensive material. “In connection with recent events, we would like to reiterate that India has always strongly condemned all acts that disparage religious beliefs and hurt religious sentiments. The Ministry of External Affairs is in touch with U.S. officials, who share our concerns on the matter,” he said.

It was the Jammu and Kashmir government that first alerted the Home Ministry on Wednesday and sought a ban on the video, fearing a law and order situation. Even some religious and social organisations have sent representations to the MHA.

Notably, the Home Ministry is being extra cautious on the issue of inflammatory content on the Internet after last month’s delay in the blocking of web pages.

More In: National | News