Pune MP and former Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (OC) chairman, Suresh Kalmadi, on Thursday lashed out at the way the Central Bureau of Investigation had been investigating the CWG case.
He alleged that the OC officials were targeted by the CBI, while those of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports were left out of investigations.
No government officials who were part of the decision-making process were interrogated so far, Mr. Kalmadi claimed in a statement at a press conference in Ranchi.
The statement comes a day after the number of arrests made in the case rose to seven with the arrest of former OC Secretary-General Lalit Bhanot and Director-General V. K. Verma by the CBI. Mr. Kalmadi is under the CBI scanner for alleged corruption and misappropriation of the CWG funds.
“Officers who have worked for years have been singled out at the investigation,” Mr. Kalmadi alleged. He said the OC officials cooperated with the investigating agencies, making all documents available to them and presenting themselves at the CBI offices whenever called.
Mr. Kalmadi said, “The CBI is ignoring the fact that the decisions have been made by the Executive Board and not by individuals.”
“Such steps will discourage self-respecting officials from taking up the task of bringing world class events to India,” the statement added.