Even as a special court dismissed a plea to make Home Minister P Chidambaram a co-accused in the 2G case, the CBI on Saturday said it had not found any evidence of criminal culpability on his part during its probe.
Asked about the court’s rejection of the petition by Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy, sources in the agency said it had conducted a thorough investigation in the 2G spectrum allocation scam and no evidence of any criminal culpability on the part of Mr. Chidambaram had emerged so far.
Dr. Swamy, in his petition, had sought making Mr. Chidambaram a co-accused in the 2G case alleging that he was as culpable as then Telecom Minister A Raja in determining the price of spectrum.
Special Judge O P Saini dismissed Dr. Swamy’s petition holding that Mr. Chidambaram had not acted with “malafide” intention and had not colluded with Mr. Raja to subvert the telecom policy for pecuniary gains.
The court said it will commence the hearing on the complaint filed by Dr. Swamy in which he had made further allegations against Mr. Raja without making Mr. Chidambaram an accused from March 17.