The Supreme Court will hear on October 8 Karnataka’s application seeking a stay or modification of the September 28 order that directed the State to release 9,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu daily till October 15 as per the Cauvery River Authority’s order of September 19.
A Bench of Justices D.K. Jain and Madan B. Lokur told senior counsel S.S. Javali, appearing for Karnataka, that the application would be included in the “mentioning list” on Monday.
Earlier, Mr. Javali told the court that Karnataka had complied with the order for one week, but given the difficulty it was facing and as there was some unrest, the matter should be listed for hearing expeditiously.
Karnataka said in its application that the water required by Tamil Nadu from October 1, 2012 till January 31, 2013 (for samba crop duration) would be 123 tmcft — 1 tmcft per day on average.
It said: “Consequent to the release of water from the reservoirs in Karnataka, the farmers in the districts of Mysore, Mandya, Hassan, have taken to gherao and even threatened to seize the dam. Strong perceptions of the farmers are that any releases from the reservoir would affect their standing crops, which are their only livelihood. The widespread agitation protesting against the releases has badly affected normal life in the cities and towns, viz., Mysore, Mandya etc., but all possible steps to ensure law and order [so far not unsuccessful] have been and are being taken.”
Karnataka also urged the court that its suggestion to release 38 tmcft to Tamil Nadu till January 31, 2013, be accepted and an appropriate order passed to this effect.