Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare said here on Sunday that the Lokpal Bill would end corruption up to 90 per cent. “For the rest of 10 per cent [to be rooted out], we will call for the Right to Reject [corrupt] candidates. There should be decentralisation of power in governance right up to the village level.''

The social activist was interacting with journalists at the Press Club of India here.

Mr. Hazare praised Bihar and Gujarat Chief Ministers Nitish Kumar and Narendra Modi, both of whom had supported him, but added that he would give them 100 per cent marks only if they adopted the Bill in their States. He, however, deplored the 2002 Gujarat riots, asserting that he was against communalism.

Asked if he was targeting Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, who had resigned from the Group of Ministers on Corruption or other Ministers too, he said he had nothing against Mr. Pawar but was against “a kind of attitude.''

On being compared to Gandhiji, the 73 year-old activist said he was an “ordinary worker'' only capable of sitting at the Mahatma's feet. “I am inspired by him. His work was different and what he did was so difficult. I am little educated, he was a barrister. There is no comparison.''

Asked if he would contest elections, he said that the system of elections was so corrupted that ordinary people can not contest. His next battle was on this front.

The Gandhian said, “I did not know the movement will take such a form with people from all walks of life identifying with it. But if you ask me, nothing has touched me. I am still the same man living in a temple in Ralegaon in Maharashtra.''

RELATED NEWS

No change in panel membership: Hazare April 10, 2011

Hazare ends fast, says fight has begunApril 9, 2011

Lokpal Bill: Text of Gazette notificationApril 9, 2011

Hazare sets August 15 deadline for passage of billApril 10, 2011

Santosh Hegde doubts Centre's intent on Lokpal April 10, 2011

Lokpal Bill: Aruna Roy for“broad, public consultation” April 10, 2011

As Anna Hazare breaks fast, his supporters celebrateApril 9, 2011

From driver to driving force April 8, 2011

BJP happy that Govt has agreed to draft effective Lokpal BillApril 9, 2011

Manmohan welcomes agreement to combat corruptionApril 9, 2011

Govt issues notification on committee to draft Lokpal BillApril 9, 2011

Govt intends to introduce Lokpal Bill in monsoon session: ManmohanApril 9, 2011

Government concedes Anna Hazare's demandsApril 8, 2011

The stand-off over corruptionApril 8, 2011

Gadkari: Centre must respond positively to Hazare's demand April 7, 2011

Thank you, but get the law enacted: Anna Hazare April 8, 2011

Centre hesitant to frame tough anti-graft law: Manik SarkarApril 8, 2011

India will have to wait till year-end for Swiss information April 8, 2011

Hazare rejects govt. offer on Lokpal panel formationApril 8, 2011

Manmohan steps up efforts to resolve Lokpal deadlock April 8, 2011

Bollywood resonates with Anna HazareApril 8, 2011

Jan Lokpal will be a ‘super' government, feels Congress April 8, 2011

Pranab appeals to Hazare to end his fastApril 8, 2011

A groundswell of support for the crusader April 9, 2011

Panel's first meeting on April 16 April 9, 2011

“I will not rest till the poor get justice”April 9, 2011

Anna fast not the right way: NCPApril 9, 2011

Joint panel to draft Lokpal Bill people's victory, says AdvaniApril 9, 2011

Anna Hazare conscience-keeper of nation, says SwaminathanApril 10, 2011

“Civil society version will be basis for stringent law”April 10, 2011

Quit panel if you see no merit in Bill, Hazare tells SibalApril 11, 2011

More In: National | News