India is hopeful that "something will come out" from the investigations into attacks on Indians in Australia, Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur said. "We have put out an advisory asking students not to go to Australia for studies," she said.

India is hopeful that “something will come out” from the investigations into attacks on Indians in Australia, Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur said as the body of Ranjodh Singh, killed in that country late last month, was brought back here on Friday.

The body of the 25-year-old, which came in a Thai Airways flight from Bangkok, was received at the IGI Airport by Ranjodh’s younger brother Satnam Singh and other family members, with the minister accompanying them.

“We are hopeful that something will come out from the investigations that are taking place on the attacks on Indians in Australia,” said Ms. Kaur, who placed a wreath on Singh’s body.

External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and his Australian counterpart Stephen Smith met in London on Thursday for the second time in as many days, she said, noting that a high-level Working Group has been set up by the Australian government to deal with the issue on an urgent basis.

The committee is going to meet on Saturday and Sunday to discuss the matter, she said.

Terming the attacks on Indians as “unfortunate”, Ms. Kaur said, “It is not acceptable and the Indian government will do whatever is required”. She also said that Australia, being a sovereign nation, is also doing its part.

“As you know we have put out an advisory asking students not to go to Australia for studies,” Ms. Kaur said.

Singh’s mortal remains were taken to his native place Nabha in Punjab for last rites, with his relatives and Punjab government officials accompanying the body.

Satnam Singh demanded that the Indian government pressurise Australia to bring the guilty in his brother’s murder to book.

The Ministry of External Affairs is facilitating the transportation of the body which has been released after completion of all legal formalities in New South Wales where Ranjodh Singh was found charred to death on December 29.

Singh had apparently been killed two days earlier.

The youth, who had gone to Australia over a year ago, was into farming in Griffith near Melbourne. His wife was on a student visa.

A husband and wife, both Indian nationals, were charged with Singh’s murder yesterday following their arrest in Sydney’s south. Australian police today arrested a 25—year—old man for his killing, the third detention in the case.

India on Thursday expressed “dismay” over new incidents of attacks against community members in Australia.

“We have learnt with dismay today of fresh incidents of violence against Indians residing in Australia, with the latest reports coming from Brisbane where four Indians, including three taxi drivers were attacked in two separate incidents on Thursday,” Ms. Kaur had said in a statement.

More In: National | News