Concerned over the recurring attacks on its nationals in Australia, India on Wednesday took up the issue with that government and said additional measures should be put in place at the earliest to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
Expressing concern at the recurring attacks on Indians in Australia, the recent one being the assault on four Indians in Melbourne last week, New Delhi on Wednesday said it had taken up the matter with Canberra.
“We are concerned at the recurring attacks on Indians in Australia. The matter was taken up with Foreign Minister Stephen Smith today by our High Commissioner in Canberra, who has also written to the Premier of Victoria. The Indian Consul General in Melbourne is in contact with the authorities in Victoria, including the police authorities,” Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said.
According to information received here, the police have arrested four individuals, who have since been released pending further investigation, he said.
It was learnt that two Indians and two other persons of Indian origin were assaulted by a group in Melbourne late on September 12. One of them, Sukhdip Singh, sustained serious injuries and is undergoing treatment.
India had taken note of the assurances given to it, including those from the highest levels of government and provincial authorities of Australia. It was New Delhi’s earnest hope that the authorities concerned would take all necessary steps towards ensuring the safety and security of Indians in Australia.
“We hope that the latest incident is investigated with care and the culprits are dealt with according to the laws of the land. It would also help if the various measures being contemplated by the Australian side, in addition to those already announced, are put in place at the earliest, to prevent reoccurrence of such incidents in the future,” Officials of the Consulate General of India in Melbourne were also in touch with the family of the victims and they were assured of all assistance.
An Australian High Commission release here said the Premier of Victoria, John Brumby, while condemning the attack said any violence “is completely unacceptable… and I’ll keep repeating this message as long as I have to get the message out… I can only repeat that overall we remain one of the safest places in the world.”
The release also said Mr. Brumby would discuss the recent incidents involving Indian students with key officials during his visit to India next week.