A local court on Saturday granted four days' transit remand to Mohammed Asad Siddiqui, an accused in the 2000 Kanpur blast case arrested in a joint operation by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and Uttar Pradesh ATS here on Friday.
One of the 9 accused
“He is one of the nine accused in the Kanpur blast. One Kashmiri accused is under arrest, another died in an encounter a few years ago. Siddiqui was around 15 when he committed the crime. He has been on the run since then.
“There was an award of Rs. 15,000 declared on him. The court granted his transit custody till March 2,” a U.P. ATS official told The Hindu.
He said that Siddiqui was staying under an assumed name in the Nalasopara area of Mumbai and ran a web-designing shop.
“He is an active member of SIMI [banned Islamic outfit Students' Islamic Movement of India],” the official said.
The blast took place on August 14, 2000.