A report on “irregularities” in the installation and working of “cell-on-wheels” transceiver stations set up by a private mobile service provider on the premises of the Hisar Military Station is learnt to have been submitted to the Military Intelligence.

While authorities maintained on Tuesday that the approval for the installation of the mobile towers had been given as per the rules, sources said the report raised questions about the functioning of the towers.

“The army authorities today [on Tuesday] said all existing instructions for provisioning of mobile cellular communication in military stations are being followed in letter and in spirit in the army formation,” Defence spokesperson Colonel S.D. Goswami told The Hindu.

However, the authorities are yet to spell out the procedure followed for allowing towers inside a military cantonment.

The sources said the approval for the installation of the three towers was given in June 19, 2010, so as to enhance signal connectivity in the area. The vendor, who was earlier allowed to build bus shelters on the campus, made the proposal, pointing out that an interaction with a few jawans and residents revealed that its network strength was poor in the cantonment.

Two of the towers are functional now.

RELATED NEWS

Cell towers at military station under scanner January 28, 2014

More In: National | News