Modalities of the SIT probe into the 1984 anti-Sikh riots were approved in the Cabinet meeting
The Delhi government on Thursday recommended to the Lt. Governor to set up a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the 1984 anti-Sikh riots with a time frame of one year to submit its report. The modalities of the SIT probe were approved in Thursday’s Cabinet meeting.
“The Cabinet decided that for investigation in the 1984 riots cases, the government will recommend to Lt. Governor Najeeb Jung the formation of a SIT. Under the SIT probe, all those cases which were closed or shown untraced would be re-opened, re-investigated and if need arises fresh FIRs would also be filed,” Education and PWD Minister Manish Sisodia told reporters after the Cabinet meeting.
“In those cases where investigations have been completed, charge sheets would be filed,” he said.
Mr.Sisodia said that police officers from outside Delhi would be given the responsibility to conduct the inquiry. “Delhi police have been kept out of the SIT as many questions have been raised about their role in the case,” he added. Elaborating on the terms of reference of SIT, Mr.Sisodia said besides re-opening of FIRs, it would also inquire into allegations of destruction of evidence by police. “The 1984 anti-Sikh riot is a black spot in the history of Delhi. According to official records, 2,733 people were killed in the riots. As many as 587 FIRs were filed, out of which 241 were either closed or no action was taken. “The Nanavati Commission opened four cases, but nothing significant has happened so far. Many commissions raised question over the role of police, saying they tampered with the evidences,” said Mr.Sisodia.