In a gruesome incident, a 35-year-old woman died while her daughter is battling for life after the duo consumed a soft drink in their house in Rajupeta area of Machilipatnam on Friday afternoon.

Sheik Munny and her 13-year-old daughter Chandini consumed the cool drink at about 1.30 p.m.

Machilipatnam Rural Circle Inspector of Police and Investigation Officer A. Pallapu Raju said that the husband of the deceased, Khadhar Valli, had gone along with his son to the mosque for Friday prayers when the incident took place.

The police could not find any poisonous material in the house.

Forensic testing

They have sent the half-finished cool drink, bottled in the month of May, for forensic testing.

Based on Chandini’s statement, the police said that Munny had first taken the beverage and later offered it to her daughter.

As her mother fell unconscious, Chandini cried for help and the locals took the duo to the Government Hospital.

The doctors said that Sheik Munny was brought dead while the condition of Chandini was critical.

Chemical analysis

“Chemical analysis of the blood and other tests will be conducted. The exact reason for death is yet to be ascertained,” the duty doctor told The Hindu.

Suspicious death

“Investigation is on and a case of suspicious death has been registered. No leads were available to know the cause of death,” said Mr. Pallapuraju.