MP stands first according to Statistics of Crime in India, 2013 released by NCRB. Family problems (24 per cent) and illness (19.6) per cent were the major factors among others for people killing themselves.

Erstwhile united Andhra Pradesh has achieved the dubious distinction of being the second State in the country to record highest family, mass suicides in the year 2013.

Statistics of Crime in India, 2013 released by National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) stated that Madhya Pradesh with 28 such tragedies stood first while united Andhra Pradesh stood second with nine similar cases. Such instances were also reported in Tamil Nadu (eight), Gujarat, Kerala and Maharashtra (three each).

Out of the 1,34,799 suicides reported in the country, 14,607 were from erstwhile united AP. The highest number of suicides were reported in Maharashtra (16,622), followed by Tamil Nadu (16,601), West Bengal (13,055) and Karnataka (11,266). These five States put together constituted 53.5 per cent of suicides reported in the country. The remaining 46.5 per cent suicides were from the remaining 23 States and seven Union Territories.

Family problems (24 per cent) and illness (19.6) per cent were the major factors among others for people killing themselves. Bankruptcy or sudden change in economic status driven deaths were 7.1 per cent in AP. Ninety persons ended their lives due to Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or Sexually Transmitted Diseases in AP. Poverty driven deaths in AP were 5.5 per cent.

Suicide victims related to farming or agriculture were 2,104 (13.8 per cent). Illiterates constituted 33.1 per cent among the victims.