Concrete structures are slowly taking over the lush green paddy fields in the surroundings of Nellore due to urban growth. The fertile Penna delta lands are being converted into colonies on the outskirts of this municipal corporation.
The change is not perceptible to the local populations as the green patch has been shrinking slowly over a period of time.
The rate of urbanization has increased several times in the past two decades as is witnessed in the development of several posh colonies like Magunta Layout, Children’s Park area, Podalakuru Road and so on.
Though only one shopping hub is located in the vicinity of Gandhi Bomma statue and Trunk Road, the city has expanded its boundaries on a big scale with colonies and localities coming up in large numbers. The city population has also crossed the 5 lakh mark but this is revised to 6 lakh after the merger of many surrounding areas into the city.
Nellore assumed significance right from the days of the British era when it was made into a municipality under the Madras District Municipality Act on November 1, 1866. At that time, its population was just 10,000 and there were 13 wards.
In 2005, Nellore was upgraded as a municipal corporation with Pulimi Sailaja becoming its first mayor. Now it has got 54 divisions, covering an area of 149 sq. kms.
With migration from rural areas increasing, apartments and commercial complexes are coming up in large numbers. Two multiplexes are developed for the urbanites. The city is known for its educational infrastructure.
The government is establishing Nellore Medical College on the premises of the DSR District Headquarters Hospital. An ultra modern convention centre was developed by the VPR Group on Golagamudi road near here.