Andhra Pradesh

Elephant electrocuted

A male elephant came in contact with lowly laid overhead livewire at Galibillivalasa village in Salur mandal and died on the spot in the early hours of Monday, said I.K.V. Raju, Vizianagaram DFO.

The elephant is about 20-years of age. After postmortem by a veterinary doctor in the afternoon, the pachyderm was buried at the spot. Soon after receiving information about the tragedy, Chief Conservator of Forests Pradeep Kumar rushed to the spot. “The other baby elephant would either be provided safe passage to Bolangir Elephant Sanctuary in Odisha or sent to a zoo shortly,” he said. The two elephants would have separated from a herd in the sanctuary and strayed into forest area at Sikhaparuvu in Salur mandal a month ago. The elephants caused large scale damage to banana, maize and other plantations in Salur and Makkuva mandals.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Feb 26, 2020 1:18:04 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/andhra-pradesh/elephant-electrocuted/article7195514.ece

Next Story