The All India Muslim Personal Board and Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha, key parties to Ayodhya title suits, today appeared set to move the Supreme Court against the Allahabad High Court verdict, even as some litigants are exploring possibilities of an amicable solution.
“We will file an appeal against the High Court order in the apex court by the end of this month,” ABHM’s UP president Kamlesh Tiwari told PTI.
He said the Mahasabha was firm on its stand not to allow division of the land in three parts.
The legal committee of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board also favoured approaching the Supreme Court against the verdict in the Ayodhya title suits.
The committee which held a four-hour meeting in New Delhi deliberated at length and recommended that Supreme court should be moved against the decision, AIMPLB sources told PTI.
The committee’s recommendations would be taken up in the executive committee meeting of the Board in Lucknow slated for October 16, sources said.
“The 51 member executive committee meeting in Lucknow, later this month would decide whether the Board should back the Sunni Central Waqf Board which had been contesting the case from the Muslim side in the High Court or whether it (board) should get involved directly,” AIMPLB sources said.
The committee decided that a team of lawyers be constituted to study it thoroughly for preparing the ground work, sources said adding that it has also recommended hiring a senior Supreme court lawyer.
Former advocate general of Uttar Pradesh, SMA Kazmi was the special invitee in today’s meeting , sources said adding that senior Supreme Court counsels Huzaifa Ahmedi and Shakeel Sayed and Allahabad High Court lawyer M A Qadir were among those who attended the meeting.
To a question, sources said that the committee did not encourage moves at resolving the issue through reconciliation.
The Mahasabha also said it would be ready for a discussion only on the condition that the Sunni Central Waqf Board withdraws its claim on the land.
“If they (Muslims) leave their claim then we will provide double land for the construction of the mosque,” the ABHM state president said.
“As of now no positive and meaningful effort is being made to find an amicable solution to the dispute,” he said.
The Sunni Waqf Board has already announced that it will move the apex court against the HC verdict.
The decision to move to SC was taken during an emergency meeting of the Waqf Board chaired by its president Zafar Ahmad Farooqui on October 5.
The Board is likely to file its appeal by the end of this month or early November.
Waqf Board’s counsel Zafaryab Jilani had already said that Muslims will not surrender their claim of a mosque in Ayodhya.
However, those in favour of an out-of-the court settlement are still hopeful of an amicable solution.
One of the oldest litigant Hashim Ansari met Mahant of Nirmohi Akahara and had a detailed discussion today.
In fact two main parties in Ayodhya title suits -- Hashim Ansari and Nirmohi Akhara -- besides the Ram Janmbhoomi Trust have claimed to have discussed an amicable formula for settlement of the mandir—mosque dispute.
The representatives of Nirmohi Akhara — Panch Ram Das, Ram Janmbhoomi Trust member Ramvilas Vedanti and Hashim Ansari held a meeting at residence of Hanuman Ghari Mahant Gyan Das yesterday and later claimed that they have reached a formula, which they think would be acceptable to both Hindus and Muslims.
“We have devised a solution to the dispute keeping in mind sentiments people of both Hindu and Muslim communities.
And we have also taken into account court’s verdict on the issue” Gyan Das told reporters after over one and a half hour meeting at his Hanuman Gari residence.