In a major terror strike after the November 26, 2008 carnage in Mumbai, nine persons including four foreigners, all women, were killed and over 40 injured in a bomb blast which ravaged the famous German Bakery on North Main Avenue in Pune's Koregaon Park near the Osho Ashram around 7.30 pm on Saturday. Unofficial figures put the number of injured at 50.

Initially the police said it was a gas cylinder blast, but the explosion is now suspected to be an improvised explosive device (IED) using an ammonium nitrate fuel oil mix, with RDX as a booster, police sources said. About 7 kg explosives may have been used. The bodies were charred beyond recognition. Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said preliminary reports indicated that it was a bomb blast.

An eyewitness who was travelling in an autorickshaw said he heard a loud explosion and blacked out. Another eyewitness said bodies were scattered and more than 10 were seen at the site. Four shops were damaged near the bakery, which has been there for 22 years.

The bag containing the bomb was said to be under a table, according to one account, and a waiter is said to have tried to open it. This caused the explosion which devastated the bakery, located near the Jewish Chabad House. A customer said he heard the blast, but escaped unhurt. There were bodies lying all around, he said.

Sources said the bakery was close to a hotel where Lashkar-e-Taiba operative David Headley had stayed while visiting Osho Ashram. However, Headley did not recce this bakery.

Soon after the blast, an unidentified bag was found in an autorickshaw. It contained 7 kg of explosives.

The Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) has also reached Pune, apart from forensic experts. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) will reach there by Sunday.

The blast has sent shockwaves in Pune, prompting a high alert in Mumbai and other cities in Maharashtra. The police have been asked to look out for unattended baggage.

Joint Commissioner of Police Rajendra Sonawane said that prima facie it looked like a bomb blast.

Congress city president Abhay Chhajed confirmed the number of deaths. "I myself have seen six bodies at the Sassoon Hospital. There are more at other hospitals." He said the injured had been taken to Ruby Hall, Jehangir, Budhrani and Sassoon hospitals in the city.

The bakery is a popular spot with foreign tourists. Six or eight of the injured are said to be foreign nationals.

Mr. Chavan has announced ex gratia payment of Rs. 1 lakh to each of the families of the deceased and Rs. 50,000 for the injured.

Security for the Indian and South African cricket teams has been tightened. The second test match is beginning in Kolkata on Sunday.

Pune MP Suresh Kalmadi said: "I appeal to the people of Pune to be calm. Minister of State for Home Ramesh Bagwe, who is at the site, has confirmed to me that it was bomb blast. Further details are awaited."

Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and other leaders have appealed for calm after the incident.

RELATED NEWS

Charge sheet filed against Baig, 6 others in German Bakery Blast CaseDecember 4, 2010

For some, celebrations at the bakery were short-lived February 15, 2010

Awaiting probe report: Krishna February 15, 2010

Left: help Maharashtra identify culpritsFebruary 15, 2010

Alert in Delhi, Kanpur, IndoreFebruary 15, 2010

Probe on right track, say police February 15, 2010

Foreign hand possible: Pillai February 15, 2010

CCS reviews security February 15, 2010

The hang-out will not be the same again February 16, 2010

Fresh look at security of ‘soft targets’ February 16, 2010

In a trice, two friends found themselves aflameFebruary 16, 2010

11 dead as Muslim militants attack Philippine cityApril 13, 2010

Pune bombing could herald renewed Lashkar offensive February 15, 2010

No breakthrough in Pune blast probe February 14, 2010

From Mumbai to Pune, signs of a lesson learntFebruary 14, 2010

Higher compensation for Pune attack victims: ChavanFebruary 14, 2010

No foreigner killed in Pune blast: PillaiFebruary 14, 2010

Chidambaram denies intelligence failureFebruary 14, 2010

Lashkar had warned of Pune as targetFebruary 14, 2010

Security beefed up at places recceed by Headley: ChavanFebruary 14, 2010

Pune blast ‘significant’ terror act: Chidambaram February 14, 2010

Maharashtra had received inputs but none was specific: Bhujbal February 13, 2010

We have to be cautious and alert: Chavan February 13, 2010

‘Headley surveyed ashram close to Pune blast site’February 13, 2010

High alert in Maharashtra February 13, 2010

A reminder from terrorists: We don’t want India-Pakistan talksFebruary 14, 2010