A local court on Friday extended the police custody of Naquee Ahmed Wasi Ahmed Sheikh and Nadeem Ahmed Ashfaq Sheikh, two accused arrested by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) in the Mumbai triple blasts case last year.

“Their custody has been extended till February 27. The ATS officials told the court that they needed their custody for further interrogation as they wanted to take the accused out of Mumbai. They did not disclose to the court where they want to take them,” Sharif Sheikh, lawyer of the accused, told The Hindu.

Three bombs went off at Zaveri bazaar, Opera House and Dadar Kabutarkhana on July 13 last year. Initially arrested in the Opera House blast case, Nadeem and Naquee were booked in the Zaveri bazaar blast case as well a week ago.

The ATS has accused Naquee of helping two wanted accused in the blasts for finding accommodation in the city.

They charged both Naquee and Nadeem of staying with the absconding accused at the Habib building in the city.

Naquee's family members have charged the ATS of harassment, saying that the agency was putting undue pressure on the family not to talk to the media.

The ATS has arrested four persons in the case till now.

More In: National | News