Out of 46 people convicted in the 1993 Bombay blast case, 11 surrendered before the TADA court in Mumbai on Wednesday. Except for Sanjay Dutt, who was given extension of four weeks by the Supreme Court, rest of the 34 convicted people will surrender on Thursday.
Dipak Salvi, Special Public Prosecutor for the CBI on Wednesday said that the 11 who surrendered before the court underwent identity verification. “Those of the convicts who had not brought their identity cards were identified by their lawyer Farhana Shah. All will be sent to the Arthur Road Jail on Wednesday and later to different jails as will be decided by the jail authorities,” he said. Out of the 11 surrendered convicts, three were the constables, while one was the custom official. All have been found guilty of setting up the conspiracy by helping in the landing of arms.
Issaq Hajwane, Sharif Parkar, Manojkumar Gupta and Farooq Motorwala who were given varying jail terms of seven years to 14 years by the TADA court earlier, have been awarded life sentence by the Supreme Court in its judgment last month. They will be surrendering in the TADA court in Mumbai on Thursday.
The convicts who surrendered on Wednesday are Sujjad Alam, Abdullah Ibrahim Surthi, Ashok Muneshwar, Faki Ali Faki Ahmed, Janardhan Pandurang Gambas, PM Mahadik, RD Mali, Sayed Ismail Ibrahim Kadri, SY Pashilkar, SS Talwadekar and Khalil Ahmed Sayyed Ali Nasir.
Out of the 100 convicted by the TADA court, 19 who were then given life term and 12 who were given death sentence were never released from the jail. 19 of the convicted have completed their jail term, while rest have expired during the trial. Those who had received 10 years or less of imprisonment were given bail by the apex court in 2007 and 2008. They will now have to return to the jail after the court’s verdict. Failing to return on April 18, which is the last date prescribed by the court to surrender, the court will have to issue warrants against them.